Got this from The Gaytheist Agenda.
Check out this fundie quote:
Mystery:Why Do Non-Conservatives Exist?
Conservative principles are based on reason. So why do non-conservatives still exist? Here are some reasons:
* 20%: did not hear about conservative principles until after they made up their mind and, perhaps due to pervasive societal bias, refuse to reconsider
* 10%: genuinely lack of desire to find the truth, and instead desire attention, praise by liberal teachers, getting along by going along, and not standing up to liberal bullies
* 10%: refuse to forgive themselves and let go of their past mistakes and image
* 10%: believe myths created around government programs like the “New Deal” that liberal policies create jobs instead of destroying them and depriving people of liberty through government control.
* 10%: fooled by the demonizing of conservatives and mistakenly feel that conservative benefits are available only to those who are from an intact family or privileged background
* 10%: refuse to rise above their personal temptations, often self-destructive, and hate conservatives who criticize their self-indulgent behavior
* 10%: feel that they deserve to make more money than they do, as in public school teachers and university professors, and refuse to rise above self-interest
* 10%: harbor a grudge against a conservative, typically a parent but sometimes an ex-spouse, and refuse to forgive or rise above the animosity
* 5%: like an anarchist, genuinely want to believe in and propagate destructive ideas
* 5%: are susceptible to marketing and suggestion to an overlarge degree.
I consider myself a non-conservative. I feel I don’t have a right to tell others how they should live their lives. I do however believe I should have the right to live my life as I see fit.
That said, lets answer some of this inanity.
Regarding the first point I knew about conservatism before I fixed myself firmly in the left wing progressive or liberal point of view. Conservatism is all about trying to wind the clock back and has a strong religious streak to it.
As to lack of desire to find the truth, I’ve evaluated conservatism and found it wanting. Can’t get an more truthful than that.
As to forgiving myself, there is nothing to forgive nor anything to let go. This is some seriously fucked up shit.
The so called myths about the New Deal – this is a red herring. The New Deal put millions back to work. So I wouldn’t call that a failure. Conservatives hate social safety nets. So this little lie doesn’t surprise me. I fall firmly in the Keynesian camp here, when the economy hits the shitter, government has to spend money. They spend it by hiring people to rebuild infrastructure, or people to create new art works in public spaces, or people to deliver meals to the disabled, etc.
As to self-indulgent behavior, I have to ask the question. What is so wrong about doing what I want to do, when I want to do it?
The grudge against pay for teachers shocks me. But then people enjoy their ignorance. Just this weekend I heard the story of someones boss who thought Lemings were birds. And this guy worked pushing peoples money around. Nice huh?
I’m pretty resistant to marketing. In fact I work the opposite. The more something is marketed/promoted the less interested I am in the product.
If you want to read more, and risk your head spontaneously exploding, go here.