All over the net I’ve been seeing glowing reviews of the Ford Focus RS and other models. So yesterday I had the opportunity to drive a Focus SE.
Things I like about the car:
- Decent seating not totally comfortable as the lumbar supports are too weak.
- Sync has improved dramatically making Bluetooth integration nearly effortless.
- The central info window on the dash has easy to navigate sub-screens.
- It has decent power in it’s normally aspirated form.
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel.
- All bluetooth controls on the steering wheel.
- Headlights are quite effective on this car.
Now what I dislike:
- The transmission at low speeds hunts an awful lot. It’s pretty annoying
- Engine revs pretty high. That surprised me especially since I could easily get the car to red line.
- Minor peeve – the location of the trunk release. In many cars it’s right toward the bottom left of the dash. Ford in their wisdom chose to put it up by the headlight control.
- Headlight control isn’t on the stalk, it’s on the dash. That once disturbs me.
- Seating could be improved dramatically.
- The transmissions sweet spots seems to be at 35MPH and 85MPH, but at 65MPH it hunts like crazy.
My overall judgement – the Focus SE may work for you, but it doesn’t work for me. Ford needs to put a little more effort into the car. I’d say two major areas of improvement are the transmission control and the seating system. I bet there’s an upgrade package for the seating too.