- Crazy Sam (the author of this meme) is beyond sick of all things Kardashian! What’s a topic you’re just tired of and don’t want to talk about anymore?
* The Kardashians – I don’t want to hear another thing about it. In fact celebrity in general annoys me.
- Rod Stewart has been recording for more than 40 years. Do you have any of his music on your iPod/mp3 player?
* Interestingly I don’t have any of his music in my library.
- Rod Stewart is known for his coif. How much time do you spend on your hair each morning?
* Wash, dry, gel, 30 seconds!
- Rod’s first child, a daughter, will turn 50 this year. His most recent child, also a daughter, is 2. How close in age are your children? If you don’t have any children, how close in age are you and your siblings? If you don’t have children OR siblings, well, tell us what’s immediately to your left as you respond to this meme. If you don’t have anything to your left … Oh, hell, I give up!
* No kids, no siblings.
- Which do you prefer — french toast or pancakes?
* Oh French Toast! I buy the french loaf, cut it into nice thick little pieces, then into the egg batter seasoned with sugar, cinnamon and a little maple syrup. Then into a well buttered pan to cook.
- When was the last time you lost your cool?
* I grow weary of “parents” pretending to care about their children but abdicating responsibility every chance they get.
- Crazy Sam once had a pet hamster she named Bart. Have you ever cared for a hamster or a gerbil?
* Yes in fact I have. I had a hamster once – a little female teddy bear hamster named Tiffany. She was a trip – you’d give her some lettuce and she’d stuff he cheeks with it. Her favorite place was on my shoulder.
- Are you ticklish?
* Yes I am.
- Ouch! You have a headache! What’s your go-to remedy?
Attributes: Got this from Rejected Reality.
- Like the boy in this song, have you ever been in love with someone, but was afraid to tell them?
* No – I’m sort of like a brick wall in the middle of a highway when you’re doing 80MPH.
- Taylor Swift has been known to write songs about her real-life lovers. If you were to write a song about the most recent person you were romantically involved with, what would the title be?
*Only You Could Make a Younger Me want to Play Baseball in the Cold, Dark Night.
- Ms. Swift recently turned 23 and has already won VMAs and AMAs and Grammys. What were you doing when you were 23? (If you aren’t 23 yet, where do you see yourself when you hit it?)
* I was 23 in 1987. I was dating a woman at the time – married her through excess of peer pressure. It all ended in 1988 when I could no longer suppress the attractions I was feeling.
- When you were a child, did you sleep with a plush toy? (If yes, please include its name in your answer.)
* Not that I can recall.
- I’m making a Starbucks run. What can I get you?
*Not a real coffee fiend so maybe a Frappucino.
- It was 60 years ago that Clarence Birdseye first marketed frozen vegetables. Now it’s your turn: Share something you learned recently.
* That a local church is trying to drive down a properties value so they can build their heritage museum there.
- In junior high, were you class clown, teacher’s pet, a geek, a jock … or did you just melt into the background?
* Geek all the way. Computers were my thing.
- Was your most recent ticket for parking illegally or was it a moving violation?
* Almost a decade ago, in Boston. I ran a red light and got nabbed by a cop.
- Tell us about the last museum you visited.
* The Boston Museum of Fine Art. When they had the Titian, Tintorento and some other artist exhibition. They had each artists rendition of a Christian scene – St. Jerome in the desert. The interpretations were very far apart, in some Jerome is an old coot, in others a middle aged man, so in essence it only confirmed what I’ve long known; that all of Christianity is based on so much misinterpretation of bullshit.
Haven’t participated in this one yet. So I figured I’d give it a go. It comes from Rejected Reality.
Do you owe anyone a phone call?* No
- Do you still have a landline phone?* Just a VoIP line.
- When was the last time you looked up a number in the phone book?
Never. It’s easier and faster to just google.
- Do you receive more calls or texts? * Definitely Texts. Anyone who knows me knows I prefer text to voice, email to text.
- Carly Rae made the Final 3 on Canadian Idol. Can you name another cultural import from Canada? * Robin Thicke, he’s Alan Thicke’s son. Pretty good singer.
- Sam (the author of this meme) grew sick of this song by hearing it too often on the radio. Where do you listen to the radio most often? Car? Work? Somewhere else? * I haven’t listened to commercial radio in 4 or 5 years. Instead it’s podcasts, TuneIn, Pandora One, and my music library. And it’s ALL the time. Right now I’m on Pandora One listening to a little Common with “Come Close”.
- Mother Winters (Sam’s mother) can work wonders with an iron and a can of spray starch. Every blouse and shirt she presses looks good as new. Is there a domestic chore you excel at?* I can iron things. But I tend to buy things that don’t need to be ironed. As a kid I loved those cotton shirts that required pressing. Now I’m glad they’ve tamed cotton so it’s not as much a pain in the ass.
- Do you consider yourself competitive?* Depends – I’m more collaborative than competitive. I know there is power in numbers.
- Tell us your superhero name — as determined by the color of your shirt and an item to your right. For example, Crazy Sam now fights crime as The Light Blue Coffee Mug!* The Black Phone.
Alas it’s Saturday . Attibutes: Originally found on Patently Queer who got it from Rejected Reality. And now that I’ve added the latter to my RSS feeds the probability that I’ll actually do this on a Saturday have increased considerably.
Saturday 9: Same Old Lang Syne
- This week’s song is the tale of an accidental holiday encounter between former lovers. They sit in her car and spend hours catching up, then she gives him a chaste kiss and they never see one another again. Is there a past love who still has a special spot in your heart, despite the years or the miles since your relationship? I cannot say I’ve ever had this happen to me. But then Keyron and I have been together for nearly 20 years now so the probability of anything like this happening falls off at the inverse.
- This week’s song includes a play on the traditional Scottish song, “Auld Lang Syne.” Have you ever visited Scotland?
Since I don’t play golf, have no interest in Haggis, but there is a high probability that I have a half-brother in Scotland but I’ve not yet been there.
- Mother Winters has long told Sam (the author of this meme, and host of Saturday 9) that if she has a glass of water for every glass of champagne she drinks on New Year’s Eve, she’ll feel better on New Year’s Day. Do you have a favorite hangover prevention tip or cure?
Yes I do. A hangover is mostly due to dehydration as alcohol is a diuretic. Ever notice you tend to urinate a lot more when drinking alcohol? Yes indeed.
But the trick is this: Before going to bed a two big glasses of water, and some excedrin. Then in the morning down a high caffeine beverage of choice.
- Do you like champagne?
Oh give me a nice dry champagne. I love it.
- This year at midnight, Crazy Sam will kiss the nose of her puppy, Chico. Will you be kissing anyone when the clock strikes 12?
Well of course I will. If you see above – twenty years and all.
- The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy was the runaway publishing phenomenon of 2012. It was so successful that the publisher, Random House, was able to give its employees massive bonuses this year. Have you read it?
Absolutely no desire to read female soft-porn. Male on the other hand maybe.
- Year-end is a time for newspapers, magazines and websites to run lists. According to Askmen.com, Jennifer Lawrence of The Hunger Games is the at the of the year’s “Most Desirable Woman” list. People magazine has declared Channing Tatum “The Sexiest Man Alive — 2012.” Do either of these two set your pulse racing? If not, who is your celebrity crush?
Not at all. Channing Tatum isn’t my cup of tea. My tastes run a lot, well, darker and richer. And in 2012 I didn’t see any real breakouts in that respect.
- Pasadena, California, is known for hosting the traditional Rose Parade. It begins at 8:00 AM on January 1, so the people who watch it live must be there very early. Does the thought of getting up and dressed to sit in the California sun, bright and early on New Year’s morning appeal, to you?
I’ve seen plenty of sun rises in my life so it wouldn’t be such an issue to be up and there for 08:00 hours. However it does not APPEAL to me at all.
- Sometimes aches and pains that aren’t serious can still really hurt. For example, Sam just dropped a can of tomato paste on her foot and the little red mark it left is making her crazy! Are you suffering through a bump or bruise or cut right now?
Nothing major at the moment. My lower back will every now and then remind me that I’m only human but other than that, nothing major.
So I’ll participate – granted it’s three days late this time around. I will add Rejected Reality to my RSS feeds so I’ll get notices in the future.
Saturday 9 – Happy Holidays
- Some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick’s lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it altogether — either because you wrote him a letter or because your family didn’t celebrate Christmas?
- Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there?
- Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest?/li>
To family – about 700 miles away in North Carolina.
- Did you buy yourself a gift this year? /li>
No I didn’t do so. Oh wait, books on Amazon Kindle – got a few page turners, one on Information Theory, another on Game Theory and a Calculus review. Yeah, I’m masochistic that way.
- What’s your favorite holiday-themed movie?
- Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day? <
- Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party?
- What’s your favorite beverage in cold weather? <
- What will you remember most about 2012?
I have a photo – I’d scan it in but I’m too lazy to do so. In it I’m maybe 2 or 3 years old. And I’m in Santa’s lap bawling. Of course Santa was my grandfather in that photo. Interestingly both my grandfather and grandmother worked for Ann & Hope – the template for believe it or not Wal-Mart. He was director of Security, my grandmother managed the softgoods department in the stores. Even my aunt worked in the back office there. So that Christmas my grandfather decided he’d play Santa.
Well, mostly nice if thought crimes don’t count. For example, this evening I had a rather brilliant Machiavellian/Mediccian in that it’s a classic Sicilian move and that the ends would in fact justify the means. It was an idea that would have a positive effect on the family while completely neutralizing an opposing force within the family. At first I thought maybe it would be nice if that opposition was dead, but then I further pondered that murder is pretty nasty. Instead I’ll just use existing institutions to do my bidding. It’s pretty easy to do if you’re willing to accept a small amount of risk, not only that it’s great fun and I have used the police and judiciary in the past to do effectively the same thing.
So based on the above – I’d say strongly naughty!
Scrooged – we actually watched it. The two most amusing characters were David Johansen as the Ghost of Christmas Past, and Carol Kane as the Ghost of Christmas Present. Brilliant casting.
Nope, can’t say I ever did.
Nah – most of the time I avoid company Christmas parties. It’s bad enough I have to work with those people, doubly worse that I have to party with them. I’m very selective who I party with to be honest.
But I’ve seen some rather interesting behavior at company parties and I know where the bodies (And skeleton bones) are buried.
Call me crazy – but Egg Nog with a shot of Brandy does the trick, especially if it’s Martha Stewart’s Egg Nog recipe.
I will remember 2012 as the year that incredible progress in gay rights happened.